Sunday, March 05, 2006

Commonwealth Games Melbourne, A Trip Log, First Post

Hello to all my family and friends who care to visit here and follow the Canadian Fullbore Team at the Commonwealth Games, 2006, Melbourne. I had hoped to have posted several times by now but I have spent my first days in Australia either shooting or in bed trying to sleep off a miserable cold. I did not have the gumption to get to internet access. I will try and keep up regular posting from now on. Since the Victoria Rifle Association Queens is now in the history books and the results are up on the VRA's website (http://www.vra.asn.au/results.shtml) I will just make a few comments.
The weather was hot through the whole event. The shoot was well run and the Australian competitors and the shoot organizers bent over backwards to be sure that visitors like ourselves fit into their system and had a good time. It was nice for me to see many of the same people I shot with last year. Pat shot handloads he produced in our caravan every night while I shot the commercial ammo that is due to be used in the games. About 180 people shot the Syme and I finished 40th, a couple spots ahead of Pat. Alain busied himself watching Pat and I shoot so we were all pretty beat by the end of the shooting days. Pat and I persuaded Alain to shoot the Queens with one of my rifles. He did and he, Pat and I all finished on almost identical scores. We placed 36th, 38th and 40th out of about 250 competitors. We think we have learned a lot we will be able to apply to the upcoming training period. At the end of the Queens I felt well enough to get out in the evening and we went to Castlemaine for a nice evening of Chinese food and conversation with shooters from Australia, Canada, Gurnsey and Jersey. We followed that up the day the matches ended with a very nice afternoon and evening at the home of Chis and Glenda who treated us to a lovely BBQ. It more then made up for the fun I missed earlier in the week. I will end for today by putting up a few pictures. I also want to thank Mark Dennis and Craig Hartnet for their help setting up this site. Cheers, Jim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home